- Servings: 4 to 6
|Vegetable Oil, for frying|
|½ pkg||Won Ton Wrappers|
|2 tsp||Ground Cumin|
|1||Large Tomato, diced|
|½||Medium Onion, diced|
|1||Jalapeno Pepper, seeded and diced|
|2 cloves||Garlic, minced|
|Juice of Two Limes, about ¼ cup|
|1 cup||Fresh Cilantro, finely chopped|
|8 oz||Queso Fresco, crumbled|
|½ cup sliced||Black Olives|
|Guacamole, if desired|
1) Pour about 1/4-inch of oil into a medium-sized heavy saucepan. Heat on medium-high heat until hot.
2) While oil heats, cut won tons in half diagonally to resemble triangles.
3) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
4) Once oil is hot, place 4 to 5 won tons in pan. Do not overfill pan, because won tons burn easily. Cook just until golden brown, about a minute per side. Repeat until all won tons are fried, removing from pan and draining on paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with cumin and salt, if using.
5) While won tons drain, combine tomato, onion, jalapeno, garlic, lime juice, and cilantro in a large bowl. Mix well and place in refrigerator.
6) Once won tons are well drained, place on aluminum foil-lined round pan, such as a pizza pan. Top with queso fresco and then place in oven. Bake about 5 minutes, being careful not to burn won tons. (Cheese will look as if it is just beginning to melt.)
7) Remove from oven and sprinkle with olives and the fresh pico de gallo. Serve with guacamole, if desired.